What's a Grandma to do?

I'm a middle-aged (is 52 middle-aged?) woman who doesn't feel as old as I am. What's a woman to do?

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Some Rules (I Think) for Being a Grandma

So today was kinda normal. I'll start @ the end & work my way back. I gave my husband a haircut. I always like that cuz I feel he gets too shaggy before he asks for one. Of course, if I ask him if I can give him a haircut he says "NO". I've learned to wait until he asks for one. My boss is on vacation this week so I'm the "Big-Wig" in our department. That's a kinda scary! So, my hours are 7 am to 3 pm this week. I hate starting that early but I really like getting off work @ 3. (There's so much day left) I go excercise then come home. I'm normally fairly busy in the evenings during the week but Wednesday night is "DATE NIGHT" with my hubby. It's not as exciting now (we talked about paying the house off, buying bonds, saving money after the house is paid off, etc. tonight) as when we first started dating about 13 years ago but it's still "our" time. All our children are grown (not first marriages for either of us) but we've still kept this habit. I haven't figured out how to put pictures on my site yet but hopefully this weekend I will experiment & get that figured out. I actually found out that we have a digital camera in the house! WooHoo! I thought that Grandpa M had lost it so right now, this is my journal. Oh, back to my day. Well, I'll sure be glad when my boss gets back. No matter how much I moan & groan about how he doesn't work Did I really say that - it's been hard while he's gone. Did I really say that! So apparantly he must do something! Did I really say that! I have a new appreciation for him. I feel new insights are always great. We have 2 new people in our department (who are wonderful) but people from other deparments have figured out that I can do some of my boss's work so they keep coming to me while I'm trying to get my work done and answer questions for the new people. Don't get me wrong - I always welcome questions. I would rather a question be asked & it be done right the first time than for it to be done incorrectly. Side note: I work with numbers so sometimes it is very hard to correct after the fact. I realized today that I could very easily become a workaholic. Eww! So that's another reason I'll be glad when he's back. I won't work as hard (even though I'm a very hard worker). After work, I excercised then went home & watered the garden. I think that's a rule or something. When you become a Grandma you have to garden. Another Grandma rule (I think) is that you have to bake. I'm losing weight now so I've laid off that for my own good right now. I have no will power. I am a powerhouse with cookies @ Christmas time, though. I start baking cookies about the week of Thanksgiving & bake until after the new year. Whew - just saying it makes me tired. I basically stay with the same hand-me-down recipes (I feel those are the best) that I got from family but I bake in bulk & freeze. Cookies freeze really nice but with 4 sons they don't stay around long! I will add more "Grandma Rules" as I think of them (or discover them!) My day is over. Time for TV then bed. Have a great day.

2 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Be careful - I don't want you to become too much of a work-a-holic :) It is good to know (even though to sucks to admit it) that your boss carries his weight. Too bad the secret is out of the bag that you can do some of his job!

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger CameraDawktor said...

That was a cute idea, with the Grandma rules. I bet you bake some mean Christmas cookies and I hope you'll post some pics of those when that time of year comes around!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home